As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them. – John F. Kennedy
If you stroll through your Story, with a heart of gratitude, good stuff will happen; that’s just how being grateful works.
To review the full Story requires more than a minute or two but don’t let that stop you from stealing a moment. Then you will enjoy the rewards of a grateful heart. Yes, if you crave love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, self-control, contentment (and who doesn’t?), I invite you to ponder two questions regarding what got you ‘here’?
- What is one THING you are thankful for?
- Who is one PERSON of influence you appreciate?
We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasure. –Thornton Wilder
What happened as you focused on the Story?
Want to stay longer?
If you have another few minutes, here you go …
- Who are three people you want to call and thank for their influence in your Story?
- Thinking of a difficult season or time of doubt, who rekindled your flame of hope? Now, what will your text message or personal note say?
- Or, who needs to borrow your spark to re-light their flame? What’s your plan?
At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us. –Albert Schweitzer
Want to go deeper?
- Where are you challenged today? What can you be thankful for … anyway?
- Now, who is your biggest challenge? Write some of their positive qualities or things you can be thankful for about them, until your attitude shifts towards them.
To speak gratitude is courteous and pleasant, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live gratitude is to touch Heaven. –Johannes A. Gaertner
Writing the Story is about how we got “here,” a celebration of “here”, while knowing “there” is better yet. No one gets “there”, without others.
Here’s to living lives of thanksgiving.
The People Project helps create self-managed employees; do your people have a copy?
THE PEOPLE PROJECT:
Your Guide to Changing Behavior and Growing Your Influence as a Leader